Friday, February 6, 2009

....And the sun was happy.

























Even though the cruise we went on in January was only about 3 weeks ago, it sure seems like it was a whole lifetime ago. Funny how time does that to you!

So as not to bore you with TOO much of travel details, I'll try to keep this short-ish. The sun was sunny, the sky was blue, the water was bluer......and we were happy.
Snorkeling was awesome - it was Jason's first time, and he was as giddy as a 4 year old boy at Christmas time! The puffer fish were GINORMOUS!

We swam with and held Sting Rays - they were a little too friendly for my taste (kind of gave me the heebie-jeebie's, actually), - yes - that's me holding a slimy squid for them to eat. Blech.
There was zip-lining through the rain forest (one of our two most favorite excursions!), jumping off cliffs into the ocean (well...Jason did that. I opted to be a non-participator on that one), boogie boarding, banana trees, midnight meals at the cafe with great friends, only one night of dramamine (hooray!), and an adventure with sea turtles.
Jason's absolute dying wish on this cruise was to see a for-real-live sea turtle. No such luck at the first 4 ports. So on the last day, we hopped into a taxi and Jason explained how we really just wanted to see a sea turtle. For 10$ each, he would take us to a good place, he said. Trusting in the taxi driver (his name was Ishmael....how can you NOT trust someone named Ishmael?), off we went. He dropped us off at Monkey Beach, and gave instructions to swim straight out about 100 yards. Sure enough! There were some sea turtles......GREAT BIG HUGE sea turtles! I felt like Nemo's dad. Jason took some amazing pictures of them - and he was happy.

There was quite a lot of poverty on the islands, which also has made me more and more grateful for the many, many things we are blessed with here. Contrary to the 'I need this, and I need that' mentality that I, more often that I'd like to admit, display, I DO have the things that I need, and I have alot of things that I want, too. We definitely do not lack for anything here.
We are ever grateful for willing parents who watched the kids, and Sprinkler Supply, from which the cruise came.
The break from the smoggy ick and cold was a welcome and fabulous patch of heaven!

9 comments:

Kristen said...

How Fun! I need a break like that! I heard that cruises are very cheap these days.

Stef said...

I'm glad you posted some pictures because I wasn't able to look at them last week. That water looks absolutely fabulous and I'm so jealous that you were able to escape to beautiful, warm weather.

Sherry said...

I am glad you had a way fun time! I know when we went to Cabo there were plenty of poor sights. It definitely makes you more grateful for everything that we have here.

Lara said...

Oh my goodness! What a fun time! The warm sunshine and warm beach water sound SO good right about now. I just looked at the forecast...looks like snow. Boo hoo.

Stephanie said...

Hey, I've missed you!!! I hope you are adjusting well from the trip. Oh, that was sooooooo much fun, we want to go back. Like It'll ever happen, but if so, this time around, we'd take the kids. We really need to get together. Let's really plan it, and meet in Salt lake! Have a nice day! Steph

Mechelle said...

Thanks for the pic's! What a blast. Someday...someday.

Holly Cruz said...

isn't the ocean wonderful?! We absolutely love going to the beach. Haven't seen turtles yet but loved the harbor seals and love all the sea birds. Someday we will get a glimpse at the whales everyone keeps telling me that swim through the beaches and bay. that's one of my dying wishes. I'm glad you had fun!

Amy said...

So, I have been wondering why you didn't put all 518 pictures up here on your blog!? :)
Thanks to Jason we all know what every single angle of a sea turtle looks like underwater.. :)

Way fun - I will look forward to following in your footsteps and taking a cruise one day...one day...maybe, though I don't think Danny would go with me (he thinketh I don't travel well)

Mara said...

ohh you lucky girl, Looks like you had tons of fun. I'm so glad you could get some R&R- and sunshine.