Monday, April 28, 2014

No Hats for you, and a broken nose for your companion

Dear Family of mine,
 
E Packer's name is Brent Logan Packer (goes by Logan) and his parent's names are Brent and Tonya Packer!! SO...there ya go! They live in Kaysville, right over by Garybrook neighborhood by burton lane!!
 
Wow, looks like everyone has grown like 4 inches since I left...Tyler, How tall are you?!?! Emma, congrats!!!!! (She's finally taller than mom)  :) Addie, where are you at on mom? ;) Dad, I promise I will come back taller than you, even if it kills me!! ;) You guys are growing like crazy....
 
The weather here has been pretty crazy too!! We haven't had like a legit "warm streak", the most we got was like 3 days of 60's, then it dips back down to 40's and rainy, then 60's and rainy and windy....it's nuts, there is never a normal day. I'm really excited for the summer too, but I've heard it gets really hot especially because of the humidity, so maybe I'm just excited for the winter again ;)
 
This week was good! The conference with E Perry last monday was AWESOME!!! Then our district meeting on Tuesday was good too. We went on exchange on Tuesday after DM, so E Drewes (my last district leader) came to Motown with E Packer and I!! It was kind of a rainy day, so we were only able to get into one home for a lesson before soccer, but soccer was still fun. ;) Unfortunately, that was the last time I'll get to play soccer in Motown :( The gym is all decorated for a wedding this week, and then next week it's all decorated for mormon prom, curses!!
 
 The Sisters Ericksen and Smedley, the motown sisters, got in a car crash on tuesday night, so on wednesday afternoon, after we exchanged back, we went to do mormon.org time, and after that, we had to give the sisters our car, cause their area is huge, and we don't really need a car. I didn't really care, but my companions were pretty ticked haha! I survived all winter without a car, and I prefer to walk anyways. We didn't even need it ;) But guess what I found out during mormon.org time!!! I can make pass along cards with my name and face on them!! How cool is that!??! Anyways, by the time we got home from helping the sisters, we were only able to get two lessons in for the night...
 
On thursday we went down to the doctor in North Arlington, and you have to drive through Newark (E packer's last area) to get there. E Packer knew of a hat stand that you could buy a sweet New Jersey snapback hat for like 5 bucks, so we went to stop there on the way home. There wasn't any parking though, so E Lattuga pulled up on a yellow striped spot next to the curb, and E packer and i were just gonna run out really quick and grab a hat a run back. But there was a cop right behind E Lattuga, so right when we were almost to the hat stand, the cop shouted through his megaphone "you can't park there, get movin!" and so E Lattuga had to drive. E Packer and I took off running after him, and he drove as slow as he could, so we were still within sight and sound of eachother, and we just tried to catch up haha!! Finally we got to a point where we could run across the road and catch E Lattuga, and there were all sorts of crazy people shouting at us and stuff, it was quite the adventure! Needless to say, I still don't have a New Jersey hat...;)
 
Friday was Zone Conference, and it was soooo good!!!!! Pres. Jeppson gave an amazing training on the Atonement, it made all of us cry haha! I don't have my notes with me, but I'll put some stuff in the next letter about it!!! I love going to Zone conferences, I always get so much revelation. It's awesome.
 
Saturdays are usually pretty tough because if the weather is good everyone is working until the night, and if the weather is bad, people congregate with their families and don't let the missionaries in. So we walked for alot on Saturday. We had correlation too, which is still ineffective...but after that, they asked us to help set up for the wedding that's taking place this friday. So we did because it was still too early for anyone to be home from work. It was kinda weird setting up for a wedding....everyone looked stressed except for us haha!! After that, we taught Obdeli, who is still the coolest man I've ever met!!!! We were actually able to share the because of him video with Obdeli and his nonmember brother, Warner, who is also really really really cool, and I'm convinced he would get baptized, he just doesn't have time because of college and work. But that was a really cool lesson!! Then we taught Carla and Josue, the honduranian members that we ran into last week!! They came to church again and they're gonna fit into the branch just perfectly! The only problem is with Josue. He's 14, and he only speaks spanish, so he's basically our only full spanish youth. All the other youth speak better english than spanish, and there's only one really close to his age, and that one barely speaks spanish at all!! So we are his friends right now, and we're working on that haha!!
 
Here's a funny story about saturday night though. We got home, and I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed, and E Packer was trying to use E Lattuga's abroller. He had never used one before, so he didn't know what he was doing, so he was trying to use it on his toes. But he rolled the thing too far back, and slammed forward on his face and broke his nose hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! Then he had to give a talk on sunday and I couldn't help but laugh when he first got up because his nose was so off center!!!!!! It was soooo funnY!!!!!!!!!!!  (As a side note, Elder Packer ended up having surgery to fix the broken nose!)
 
Sunday was good too. We went to church...ate lunch....walked around trying to find a couple people, then went to Belia's for dinner. We had a really good lesson with the Gomez family and Lila's family that were both there on how to be a missionary. We shared d and c 18, and then did a contacting role play, and then they had to come contact us. It was really fun and everyone loved it! Then we went home and went to bed and now here I am ;)
 
This week I really feel like I've learned the value of hard work and diligence. I love my companions, but sometimes I don't think they work very hard. Alot of the times I'm the only one doing anything productive, whether it's washing all the dishes and trying to keep the house clean, or motivating us to leave and get out and actually do missionary work, so I'm grateful that you guys taught me that!!!
 
Have a great week guys, I love yoU!! :)
 
Love,
Elder Tanner Nelson

No comments: