Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Haircuts, 100 days, Batman, and M&M's




Dear Mom and Family,
 
Yes I got asmonex last wednesday, and we do have the advent calendars! It's safe to send stuff to the apartment!
 
As for the Book of Mormons....I dunno...haha! You could send your testimonies and I could translate them and write them in? or you could translate them? A lot of the people out hear can't read very well, if at all, and most don't speak but very little english...
 
Also, is my Social Security Card at home? I'm not sure if I brought it or not....and I can't find my passport…(um…..that's not good) I'm going to keep looking, but I'm not sure where I put it, so I'll keep you posted there too!
 
I need your guys' skype username and whatever other info I need to call you. We are going to a members house, I'm not sure what time yet, but I will know for sure by next monday. But I need your skype on monday so that I can call you!
 
As for things I need, just a USB cord in the next envelope/package to charge my ipod...and I think that's it...
 
My haircut went awesome!!! I couldn't get the back, so I gave myself a mullet ;) unintentionally, but it looked just like I remembered it ;) Then I had elder Jellen come in and cut the back. It was surprisingly easy, E Jellen has some clippers, so you just set the size and go! He's giving them to me when he leaves! But it looks like a pro cut it ;)
 
Last week was really good! It snowed pretty hard last Tuesday, so they canceled District Meeting and took away driving priviledges. But the driving thing didn't affect us - So we just walked around in the snow on tuesday, but we got 6 lessons, which was awesome!! One of the lessons we taught was to Selena. She is going to get baptized this Sunday if we can meet with her enough and finish teaching everything!!!!!!! So that's way exciting!!!!!!
Wednesday was a big day, I celebrated my 100th day away from home! Holy Cow has it REALLY been that long??? It was a good day, other than the fact that we didn't teach a single lesson haha ;).  We had District meeting with the rest of the zone, which was really good. We did a round robin thing where all 3 district leaders in the zone prepared a 30 min training, and then everyone went to each one in their districts, and we just rotated. E Jellen talked about 1 Nephi 4, and how Nephi was made a promise that he would be guided by God and how he would know that it was God guiding him. Then he made the comparison of our daily planners to the liahona, and that if we are following our plans, we are being led by God because nightly planning should be a spiritual experience. It was really cool!! Elder Taylor, another DL, talked about how our purpose is to share the message of how families can be happy together, and his commitment for us was to take a picture of our families to a lesson and use it to share how families can be together forever. So that's what Elder Jellen and I did on thursday, and we had a few really powerful lessons on why it's important to follow the prophets and have family scripture study and prayer, so that familes can be eternal! The other DL was in charge of role plays, so we just practiced, it was good!
 
 Thursday was a bugger though!  The first place we walked, my coat got snagged on a fence, so now I have a little hole in the sleeve. Things just didn't go right on thursday. Just little things like that were happening all day, but we still got in four lessons! At the end of the day, I realized it wasnt quite as bad as I had thought, but I don't want it to happen again haha!
 
Okay, wanna know something awesome?! The Mars candy factory, the M&M factory is in my zone!!!! It's in Hackettstown NJ, I've been in Hackettstown!!!! I guess the English elders there live right next to it!!!! Is that crazy?! Here's another fun fact, Batman was filmed in Newark. Newark is Gotham City. Elder Jellen showed me a picture of the town hall that's on batman, but it was a picture he took because he served in Newark! Craziness all around!!!!!!  
 
(This was selfie Jason took the day his call came - just to send to Tanner and rub it in while he was still at school)

Friday was awesome, we had this thing called the Jingle with the Jeppsons, where we went to Pres. Jeppson's house and they made us a huge breakfast, and then afterwards we sung some songs, rang some bells, and he talked alittle bit about Christmas. It was really interesting, he focused on the personal worthiness of Mary and Joseph to be able to have the Christ child. It was really cool! We had another lesson with Selena that day, she is remembering lots - IT's awesome!!!
 
Saturday brought us another snow storm that we were supposed to get up to 10 inches before sunday morning. It snowed all day. I like the days it snows here, because it's so much warmer than any other day!! When it's not snowing, it's icy cold, so I prefer the snow haha! But right as we walked out of our apartment on saturday, I totally slipped, just like Charlie Brown, and landed flat on my back. I just laid there for a minute because I realized how funny that probably looked. I now have a bruise on my left bum cheek. But it snowed all day, and we got probably 6 inches of snow. It was enough, and it froze overnight, so they canceled church yesterday.
 
But yesterday was still amazing! We didn't go to chruch, we just stayed home and studied. But all the spanish missionaries were suppposed to put on a choirside last night for members and investigators in all of NJ. The Maughans, our senior couple,, was giving us a ride, and they told us they'd be here way early. So they picked us up with the sisters in our area, and then they realized how early they were. So they took us back to their apartment and fed us so much food! It was awesome, I love the Maughans!!The Maughans are also my favorite because they gave us some almond roca. E Jellen doesn't like almond rocas, so he gave his to me :) happy day :)
 Then we went to the choirside. It was really cooL!!! We sung lots of songs in spanish, and they had several elders and sisters participate in musical numbers! My favorite one was a guitar and ukelele duet, it was so cool haha! But the spirit was strong there, and I could really feel how much God loves everybody there. The choirside was in Union City, which is right next to New York! So I got my first glimpse of the Empire State building and all sorts of skyscrapers! IT was soo cooL!!!
 
We get to actually go to New York for our temple trip on thursday! We're going to the Manhattan temple as a zone, and I'm way excited! We're taking the train to new york, and then the subway from the train station to the temple! It's going to be so awesome!!!  (Seriously. so. Awesome.)
 
But that's all for this week! It felt like it went by way too quickly to be a week!  I hope all continues to go well at home! Love you guys! You're in my prayers!!
 
Love,
Tanner

No comments: