Sunday, December 13, 2009

The happy place :)

It is I tell you. It truly IS a happy place.
Not intending to bore anyone with a travel log.....but - just so it's documented.....here it goes....
8 days lapping up the 50's and 60's while you people were suffering in the 20's and snow (not to rub it in or anything :)....





...and on another triple happy note -
Son #2 FINALLY conquered a piece of himself! He has NEVER, ever, ever (did I mention EVER) liked rides. Any kind. Except the slow ones like the sky ride at Lagoon. Truly, you think I jest. Not so.
From the time he was 2 and we took him on the tilt-a-whirl at the city fair - he hated every minute of it. We've bribed him on a few things here and there - very mild things, mind you....i.e., Puff-the-dragon-roller-coaster-in-the-kid-zone-of-Lagoon, and the like. He tenses up like nothing I've ever seen, and we've all just kind of come to grips with the fact that he just does NOT like motion.
Now, giving the kid some credit - we've been to Disneyland 4 times, and even bought Lagoon season passes one year, and he's always been pretty darn patient at waiting (because when you don't like to ride rides, you mostly just wait). But this year was his year - he did it - he actually TRIED 5 new rides, and loved them (well, most every part of them....except the downhill parts - but he persevered people!)
It made the whole darn 12 hour drive down there completely worth it just to see his "I-just-CONQUERED-it!" face.
Kudos go to Son #2!


Third happy thing.....Never thought I'd say it, but princesses totally rock. What could make a 3 year old happier than meeting Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, Belle, and as a bonus - Mulan???? It was a slice of heaven for the 3 year old.



And not that I don't love my life here in Layton.....but honest-to-Pete it was awfully hard to drive back, losing 10 degrees every couple of hours. Driving from palm trees, to the snowy 30 degree Wasatch front road slush. Ugh.
Blessed be you fabulous neighbors who shoveled our walks and driveway. We owe you brownies.

I totally could have taken another week or so of vacation..... but apparently the 8 year old was ready for our 8 days of fun to be end. As we were unpacking, I came down the hallway carrying a suitcase full of things to put away, and heard some sniffling sorts of sounds.....and there she was - crying in her bedroom. "What's wrong?" I asked.............."I'm just so happy to be home, mom".
Wow.
There's no place like home apparently.

8 comments:

Wendi said...

Looks and sounds like lots of fun. I agree that there's no place like home after a vacation, though. :)

Amy said...

Glad you had fun!

Jewels said...

How Fun!! We went this exact time last year, isn't it extra magical at Christmas time!! It looks like everyone was in heaven! Welcome Home!!

Mechelle said...

I am so excited for you! I am so gald you had such a great time.

Sherry said...

The kids look sooooooo grown-up! I can't stand it. :(

Lara said...

Oh, what fun!! I am SO glad you guys had a great time! But then again, how can you not have fun at Disneyland?

I love coming home too. ;)

The Cheatham Family said...

Disneyland is a "happy place", busy place, a place for memories! Believe it or not my first time to Disneyland was this last March. So much fun!!! We are planning a trip for the kids in 2012 when Jacob can remember it. It looked like you had a great time!!! Loved the Soarin Over CA, Splash mountain got the funniest pic of Ray on that one. We rode the Sreamin roller coaster. So fun we rode it twice. I had eyes closed first time on the loop second time kept them open getting the full affect. Lots of fun!! Thanks for sharing your fun memories & pics!! So cool! So excited for son #2, what a feat!!!

Stef said...

Despite my cynical attitude towards most things happy and warm fuzzy, I love Disneyland. Im jealous you guys got to go, especially during such bad weather here. If I knew we wouldn't have to take our future unborn children there in the future, I might want to go more, but we're trying to get our grown-up trips out of the way first.