Sunday, September 13, 2009

From bad...to worse?

Really?
Okay, I think that some Heavenly people are trying to teach me a lesson. That I have to keep relearning. And relearning.
It's this:
STUFF doesn't matter.
I get so hung up on the trivial things in life sometimes that I can't get beyond it, see beyond it, plan beyond it, and (like Martha) - I am "cumbered about".

So.....we built this house about a year and a half ago, right? It's a blessing. I KNOW it's a blessing. I also KNOW it's bigger than any house I've ever lived in. It's bigger than the home my parents live in. It's bigger than most of the homes in Argentina apparently too (we were shown some pictures of their home shacks today in the primary I got to visit). We have been TREMENDOUSLY blessed.

Why oh why when I know how much we're blessed JUST BY THE FACT THAT WE HAVE A HOME, AND CARPET, AND BEDS, AND LIGHTS, AND RUNNING WATER, AND A BASKET OF FRUIT ON THE COUNTER...why oh why do the little things bother me?
All the unfinished projects in the house, like the paint drips on some of the molding. Like the few places in the wood floor that isn't QUITE finished, like the 3 walls of baseboards that aren't caulked and painted yet, like the no-back-splash in the kitchen either.....

I REALLY REALLY really do NOT want these things to bother me. But they do. Much mental energy is spent worrying about it. More than I'd like to admit actually. So I won't.

Shortly after we moved in, we noticed that the finish on the kitchen cupboards was scraping off - really easily. After a couple of months it was starting to look noticeably awful, and starting to happen on nearly every door and drawer in the entire house. Ick, huh?




A call was finally put in to the guy who did our cupboards, who said they must not have cured properly or something so he would replace all the door and drawer fronts in the home. Hallelujah!
So we waited.
And waited.
And waited.
The cupboard guy is a family friend (which seems to complicate things), who doesn't actually build cabinets for a living. Just on the side. His regular job takes him out of town about 2/3 of every month.
......meanwhile we're still waiting. (patiently, I might add)

All I can think about is the day that we get the new cupboard doors, and life will be so great, and I will no longer be embarrassed when someone comes into the kitchen and heaven forbid, has to throw something away (that particular cupboard is the WORST). It will be WONDERFUL to have cupboards that look beautiful. And finished.
I can't wait!

An ENTIRE year later, we finally we get the call. The cupboard doors are done.
HOORAY!!!
He'll be up Friday to install them.
My heart is leaping. Life will be so good.

Cupboard man comes. Carries in loads of doors & tools and starts installing.
Woohoo I'm thinking!

After a few hours I notice something not quite right.....







AAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
Not only are they NOT the same color as the previous doors, but the drawer fronts are a completely different shade that the door fronts, and they are ALL a different shade than the molding and trim. From the kitchen, to the 3 bathrooms, to the kitchenette downstairs.


Stand back. Take a deep breath. Laugh Ange, just laugh - I keep telling myself.
I'm trying.
It's sort of a laugh-cry thing for me at this point.

As the cupboard man left that night, completely and totally unsure of first of all - how the heck that even happened in the first place, and secondly - how on earth to fix the problem....
I hoped that perhaps someday I would find humor in this situation.

It's been 2 days since Friday now, I've had 2 days to look at all the different shades of brown we have going on all over the house. And 2 days to percolate on what to learn from this situation.

Here's what I've come up with so far.....

the MOST important things in life (insert your favorite Sunday school answers here) can STILL be done with mismatched cupboards, paint drips, unfinished master bathroom, missing baseboards, and even with out cute throw pillows & decorations to match. (hard to believe, I know.)

It (ie; stuff) doesn't matter in the bigger scheme of things. Well, it shouldn't matter.

My heart is REALLY trying to get the message through to my head.

Maybe once I figure that out, I mean REALLY figure that out - just then, maybe the cupboard man will figure out how to fix things :)

10 comments:

Wendi said...

Oh, that's just annoying. Yeah, things don't really matter, but details are what we women specialize in. And those are right in front of you all the time. It would probably bug me too. Hang in there. Your heart is definitely in the right place. Eventually you'll be able to look back on this and laugh--AFTER, everything is fixed, of course... :)

Mechelle said...

It sounds like you are having two issues. Frustration with the cupboards and guilt about being frustrated. Maybe if you just let yourself be frustrated with the cupboards for a while then not only will your stress be 1/2 it was but you will get it out of your system and then you can move on. Having your own little private tantrum can cure a lot of things - kids are smarter than we give credit. XOXO

Carrie said...

I agree with the 2 other posts. Quit beating yourself up for expecting a quality product that you paid for. You deserve to have cupboards that have a finish that will last ar least a few years....not to mention MANY years. And hello.....I am surprised that the installer actually put in the mismatched replacements...

Anyways it was fun to see you yesterday, sorry I didn't catch up to you for a quick hello!

Lara said...

I too do not understand how the installer did not notice after he put the very first door on.

It is OK to be frustrated. Any one of us would be too. I hope for your sake he comes up with a plan of how he's going to fix it real soon. What a pain!!

Donahoe Family said...

Men - enough said! :)
I need to work on being grateful too - thanks for the reminder. We have been going through this particular trial for 3 years now and sometimes I just can't be positive I just want to complain - YET I KNOW that I am blessed and my trial is minimal compared to others. Actually I have been trying to work on it more each day....But some days more than others can be SO HARD! Peace * Love!

wenselgang said...

Oh Ange, only you know how to make the best out of every situation! If it makes you feel any better everytime I go to your house I feel overwhelming love! And because of what I feel, I've never noticed all those things you mentioned! Except, I am almost certain I would notice those cupboards now. Isn't mismatched cupboards the style now?? Hang in there even if it takes another year to get them fixed!!

Amy said...

I think, now wait, I KNOW we have discussed this before.
Your house is always beautiful.
It gives the rest of us cause to grumble.
But THAT difference in the color on the cabinets, ANYONE would be frustrated with.
Hopefully he can fix it. If not, black paint is your friend.... I should know :)

Sherry said...

I am so sorry!!!! I totally feel your pain. There is nothing wrong with wanting and expecting something done right. Hope your wait is shorter. Keep smilin'--you always do!

Maren said...

I would complain, too. LOUDLY. Forget the patience thing.

And I'm sorry.

Kristen said...

That stinks...they are really nice cabinets. I hope you can get it figured out soon. The kitchen is definitely were you spend all your time, so I don;t blame you for wanting them perfect!