Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Go ahead and TOOT!

...Now I know what you're probably thinking from the title.....this is going to be some sort of boy humor blog post or something. Not this time people.
This is some real honest to goodness horn tooting. Not mine, mind you. That would be rude.

But it's okay to toot our kids horns every once in a while, right?
Maybe for me it's a little bit of vicariously living through my children. You see, when I was a teenager, much to my mothers shagrin, I was not the most studious student on the block. Or the whole neighborhood for that matter. In fact, I was pretty lousy, by choice, which made for an unending amount of heart ache for my parents.
....So years and loads of regret later, it makes me more happy than you'd ever know to see this on report cards....

4.0
!!!!!!

(I think they should add the exclamation marks on good report cards)

Tonight was the induction ceremonies for the Junior National Honor Society, and it's was awesome! Most of you probably know all about that because you were all probably members back in the day. However, that whole experience escaped me for all the years I was in school. To be a member of course your GPA has to be above 3.75, but you also have to do at least 15 hours of service in the community - which is SO GOOD for kids (what am I saying....it's SO GOOD for adults too!) So, they had a few kids talk about what they did for their service hours, then spoke about the importance and origins of education. Tanner got called out of the audience for an object lesson by the keynote speaker, and - not being a lover of being in front of people- he was pretty beet red - but he still did great!


We're super proud of him, and hope he keeps it up next year when grades 'really count'. (who-ever came up with grades DON'T count before 9th grade is silly. Of course they count.....don't the habits they form NOW affect what will come LATER?)

Alright, I hope this hasn't been too much horn tootage, but I really just had to get a big WAHOO off my chest!

8 comments:

Donahoe Family said...

wow things have changed since I was in school! Really - it doesn't count until 9th grade? Huh? That is weird....I do like the community service part though. What a great idea. But most importantly - way to go nice job on the 4.o Tanner!!
(I think it is DEFINITELY ok to brag about our kids!) :)

Mechelle said...

hurray!!
What a complete stud!

Lara said...

What an accomplishment! Great job Tanner!! and congratulations!

Ange, you toot all you want. I love hearing good success stories. Keep them coming!

Sherry said...

Way to go, Tanner!
That's really great...you need to move back so that motivation can rub off on Greg!

Amy said...

Way to go Tanner!

And Ange, I see you lost the Jason haircut battle yet again...my condolences.

Donahoe Family said...

Ange,
Thanks for having my back and bringing back our books!! I'm so glad you were there. I got to talking and then just walked out without even looking back...who does that? I mean as a mother aren't we obligated to make a quick check to see if we have everything? THANKS!!

Holly Cruz said...

WAHOO for Tanner! That's so awesome! Kaeryn finished taking the end of year testing so we will see if she gets to stay in the advanced program for next year soon. She's loved it!

by the way ang, how come i'm not on your people you know list? I don't mean to be naggy but I am your sister you know. tee hee

Steph said...

I say toot away! There is no reason you shouldn't. Besides, they may come a time when you'll be short on toots, and so do it while you can. I hope you are doing well. Steph