Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Lots of walking, drunk guys, and miracles….oh my!

Dear Family,   (And FINALLY some pictures - …..Did my heart good!)
 
 I have the R.M. soundtrack already, I only listen to the hymn renditions (I hope they call me on a mission, abide with me tis eventide, give said the little stream) and that stuff is my favorite haha! I have 4ordained and EFY 2012 and 2013, so more EFY would be great, it's all approved. Anything else like that you can find is great too haha! Like I said, the Lower Lights are really good and also approved....so...;)
 
 What a week! My companion was not E. Carballo like I thought it would be!! My new companion is Elder Walter Diaz, a native of El Salvador via Texas. Born in E.S. but moved to texas when he was like 10. He still has a little bit of an accent though, and his spanish is definitely native. I think that was the language they spoke in his home. He's been out for about 10 months now, he's starting his 8 transfer. I'm still weirded out that I'm starting my 3rd transfer haha! But he's cool, I really like him! He's a lot different than E Jellen...He's not quite as firm as E Jellen I don't think. Like he has a testimony, and he's committed to work, but he's not quite as...missionary like maybe? To me he doesn't seem quite as converted, more out here to have a good time. But he's really cool! Pres. Jeppson calls him the man of steel, so I'm gonna get yoked this transfer!! ;)
 
This week has been really weird. I dunno if it's just because Elder Diaz is here now or what, but it's been weird. On Tuesday the only thing we had time for was soccer, which we've started playing again! We are going to be starting each session with a prayer and a spiritual thought and get everyone's info so they are all potentials, so that'll be really good!! Elder Diaz and I were so sore after that though haha!! It was a lot of fun!
 
Wednesday we taught four lessons, which is really high for us!! We picked up a former named Pricila. I have only taught her once, like my third week in the mish, until E Jellen and I dropped her. So we just did How To Begin Teaching and tried to start teaching the Restoration. Towards the end, we established her beliefs, and the one thing she absolutely does not believe is that there is a living prophet today. It's weird though, she wants to be baptized...so...we have work to do haha!! But we had a really good lesson with her!


Funny story, on wednesday when we were walking around at like 4, a black guy pulled up next to us and gave us fliers to this Bethel AME church dinner that night. He double checked that we were going to be there like 5 times. The time was right when we had planned on having dinner, so we figured we might stop by for some free food :) we finished up our plans before dinner and headed over. So we get there, and walk in, and sign as the elders so we can get our food. We walk in and sit down, and realize it's like a charity event. It was too late to get up and walk out, but too weird for us to fit in with the other hobos....So we ended up eating a quick meal with the hobos, and we got two potentials out of it! We both felt really bad about taking that food, but we figured there was a reason for it, otherwise that black guy wouldn't have triple checked that we were coming. I still feel bad, but oh well...I can check eating a meal with hobos off the bucket list ;)
Another Funny story, on wednesday night, we were walking home at the end of the night, and a drunk man stopped us. He was Enrique, a former that I have never taught, but who Elder Jellen and I dropped. We saw him on the streets sometimes, but he was always just looking for money. So he stopped us and recognized me, so made a big deal out of that, and starting talking to us about the word of God and how good we were and the importance of God, crazy stuff!! He was very flamboyant with his arms and motions, I was surprised he was still standing!!! It was hilarious!!! What made it funnier was that E Diaz couldnt stop laughing. And it was contagious, so I started laughing too!!!! It was probably quite a sight to see, a stoned man acting out a scene and two young men cracking up right in front of him haha!! Then E Diaz leaned over to me and said, "Elder Nelson, I peed my pants!" Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!! It was so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
The next couple days passed without incident. Very tranquilo, very regular. Nothing to report. We taught a couple lessons, but nothing more than we have done before. I'm sorry!
 
But Saturday was another good day. We had correlation with Hno Morales, and that was really effective. E Diaz and I rewrote the branch mission plan ( with a few notes from E Jellen) and we brought that to correlation. We discussed alot about what needed to change and what we could do, and we got some really good ideas! We also had P.E.C. on sunday where we discussed all of that with the Branch Presidency. We are having branch conference on the 26, and I've heard the branch is doing a 100%turnover change sorta  dealio! So that's hopefully when we can start encouraging people to work together and start back at the basics of daily prayer and scripture study. The next two weeks can't go fast enough!
 
Also on saturday, we taught Ana, a former that E Jellen and I picked up again last week. We taught her with Hno. Morales, and had a lesson. I don't know that it was good or bad, but we learned alot and know what we need to do now. Hno morales kinda took over the lesson and didn't go where we wanted to and didn't let anyone else talk...but after that, I said to her "You know the B.O.M. is true, you've been to church tons of times, you pray daily and received an answer through prayer, so how would you like to be baptized?" She responded that she doesn't feel prepared, yada yada yada, so we're going back on wednesday, and we prayed about it this morning, and we feel like we should commit her to a baptismal date of Feb. 2!!! So that'll be great!!
 
Yesterday we had a really good lesson with Laura, a member. And after the lesson she told us that Obdeli, a former, the Elders Quorum President's son, and her friend, wanted to take the lessons again. So we called him up right then and are going to go teach him tomorrow!! I really feel like these two incidences with Ana and Obdeli weren't coincidences, and that they really will be baptized soon. I think we're going to commit him to the same date as Ana!!
 
That's mostly all for this week. We've been contacting like crazy, had lessons and discussions with several drunk guys, seen miracles, taught lessons, and walked for miles. Welcome to Morris-Hood!!
 
Glad to hear all is well, tell Grandpa Berry I love him, and I love all of you as well!! have a great week! :)
 
Love, Tanner :)

No comments: