Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hair cuts and Guinea pigs.....oh my!


(Again - no pictures from him, so just thought we'd throw in a few just for fun)

Dear  mom and family,
No I have not gotten any packages yet...but they go to the mission office, then our sr couple brings them to district meeting, but I don't think I'll get them til the 1 of december because the ZL's get mail for the first of the month and my district meeting just got moved away from the zone...long story... 
For christmas, I would appreciate maybe a couple pairs of wool sunday socks haha! My feet are kinda chilly ;) but other than that, whatever works :) Maybe the best two years soundtrack? Some more music would be nice!
 And sorry I couldn't email on monday, it was veterans day and the library was closed...so here I am!
Okay, so first off a flippin awesome experience. Elder Jellen and I went to burger king on thursday night because we were hungry and had a little bit of time for dinner before heading home for the night. We ordered, and while we were waiting, another guy came up and ordered. He came over and said, "are you guys from utah?" we said "yes, have you seen missionaries before?" he flashed us his utah drivers license, so we started talking to him.
We said, "what brings you out to New jersey?"
'Work, I'm a musician.'
"oh really? do you have a show this weekend?"
'yeah, i'm playing with my band tomorrow.'
"awesome! what do you play?"
'i play the bass.'
"sweet! whats your band called?"
'Air Supply.'
Both of our jaws dropped. Because as far as I can remember, air supply is very similar to mayday parade. They're self labeled because they're so big. And here we are, talking to the bassist, Johnny Lightfoot, in burger king. So cool!!!
(um.....maybe this will date me....I'm not sure how he knows who they are......isn't Air Supply a band from like, the 80's?)

It's Elder Jellen's birthday tomorrow, the big 21! His little brother got his mission call last week.  For his birthday, a member, the Acunas, invited us over for dinner to have cui. I was so stoked to try it!! Guess what it is! ...Guinnea pig. (Eew.)  I was so excited!!!!!  But they couldn't find any guinnea pig...so I think we're having something else...(did they try Petsmart?)


I got my first haircut the other day. And I thought it looked really nice! It took like 5 minutes at a supercuts down the street from our house. But when I woke up to do it on tuesday morning, it was so ridiculously uneven! I couldn't make it look normal! So I had to cut a few pieces,(Tanner, with SCISSORS and his own hair??? uh-oh)  and now I think it looks alright, but it's still not really even haha! I haven't had a normal haircut in like three months!!
Do you know what else I haven't done in forever? Drive. I finally got my tiwi card that will let me drive last friday!!  But...they took our car away last thursday...(That's some serious Murphy's law at work!)  They moved us into morristown so that we wouldn't have to walk as far, and then they took our car because we're a walking area...so now we don't even have the measly amount of miles we had per month haha! And that's why they moved our district meeting to the chapel in Morristown, but the rest of our zone meets somewhere else. So really, I don't even know when I'll get mail......this could be a problem...;)
A really cool thing happened the other day though! Since we walk, we freeze. I bought just a cheap two dollar beanie from walmart on monday, and later that night, a non member, Andres (relief society pres's husband) called us, met us, and gave us each a cheap pair of gloves, a scarf, and some earmuffs! The Lord knew we were freezing! And when we were cleaning out our old apartment, we found a box of hand warmers!!!! Wahoo!!!  But if you still happen to maybe buy some nice gloves, that would be cool too :) these gloves were a blessing, but I don't think they'll last the whole winter, they're more like glorified fall gloves ;)
Still haven't heard from Nate, so if you could find him or his email or something, that would be great!!!
We have two investigators on baptismal date, but I think only one actually will, if any. This guy in his mid 20s, Abel, is here from Honduras I think, and he came to work, but he also told elder Jellen that he made a promise to God to follow him when he came to America. So we've been teaching, and we had a member with us in our last lesson and our member pounded Abel, trying to get him to commit, so we got him to commit to pray, and I think eventually he will get baptized, I'm just not sure about the 8th of December...

We also committed Sandra  and her boyfriend, Nelson (first latino I've met that shares my name!), to be baptized, and when I asked Nelson, he quickly nodded his head, but Sandra was kinda arguing/confused about it.  I don't think Nelson really cares about the church - God is important to him, so he tries to be a good person, but thats all. If Sandra gets baptized, he will too, I'm sure of it.  But I think Sandra keeps on inviting us back because she feels, as do many here, that as long as they have a religious discussion with the missionaries every once in awhile, that's fine with them and fine with God.  But it's not.  I just wish I could take away people's agency for 15 minutes, meet with them, put knowledge into their heads, make them see how all the gospel makes sense, and then let them realize that it really does make sense, then commit them to baptism. That would make it so much easier haha!
Also, I had to give a talk on sunday on the plan of salvation. I was kinda nervous, because it had to be all in spanish. I studied, and just took up my preach my gospel with me for my notes, and E. Jellen said I took up all the full 10 minutes, so that was good! Spanish is hard for me!  I feel like I plateaued, and now I'm digressing...it's so frustrating!  I just wanna be fluent already!!
I'm on exchange right now with the ZL, Elder Jones. He looks exactly like Andrei Kirilenko!!!! It's crazy!!!!! He's from cedar city! And I'm also on exchange with Elder Taylor, from Portland Oregon. he's in a trio with the ZL's because his comp went home on monday for medical leave. It's really fun! I can actually understand how the lessons go because they are both english missionaries haha!
That's all for this week, glad to hear all is well at home, glad to hear I don't have to try and meet a new family member over skype ;) (So.....you are probably wondering 'new family member'?  .....in a letter we sent to him we told him we had some exciting news.......drumroll please......  ......and the running joke in the family is that if there's some big news, you know, the kind that warrants a family council - it's either we're having a baby, ...or moving.  Thankfully it was neither.  We just FINALLY - after 6 months without one,  got a new microwave!) 

Keep on keeping on! Love you!
Love,
Elder Nelson 

No comments: